The best tough dog names make a serious statement, and we are going to help you choose the right one for your badass pupster. We will give you lists of names around a variety of super tough themes. We’ll look at names inspired by real life tough characters, as well as those based on hardcore or scary concepts. All with lots of opportunities for you to get creative and think of some tough puppy names of your own too.
The Best Tough Dog Names
When it comes to dog naming, going tough is a surprisingly common option. Because there are so many cool and quirky choices. They are quick and often funny too. But tough dog names aren’t just for those hounds who won’t be messed with. They can be a silly or ironic way to name your big softy, too! Here are some of our favorites:
But not every name will suit every dog. And there are different ways to be tough. The toughest sounding dog names can be inspired by people, places or things that have a cold, hard association.
Badass dog names
You can’t get a lot more badass than a jail… There are lots of tough prisons around the world that can be a source of inspiration for truly badass dog names.
- Chino (state prison for men in California)
- Hatfield (a tough prison in Yorkshire, UK)
- Parchman (the oldest maximum security men’s prison in Mississippi)
- Sing-Sing (maximum security state prison in New York)
- Riker (one of the largest US prisons, located on Riker’s Island in New York)
- Mo (after Guantanamo Bay)
- Stanley (Hong Kong maximum security facility)
- Petak (The Russian version of Alcatraz!)
- Quentin (San Quentin prison California)
- Tadmor (Military prison in Syria)
And they make for a unique take on the theme too. Another great way to find truly tough names, is to look at people who have made an honest living through being strong!
Tough Names Inspired by Fighters
Fighters are tough. It’s essential to keep a cool head, ignore pain and push through if you want to win. Here are a few ideas to get you started. Either their first names or second names alone would make great names for tough pups!
- Ryan Bader
- Mike Tyson
- Fedor Emelianenko
- Floyd Mayweather
- Josh Barnett
- Cris Cyborg
- Neiman Gracie
- Ronda Rousey
- Julia Budd
- Georges St-Pierre
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane
- Rocky Marciano
- Benson Henderson
- Bruce Lee
- Anderson Silva
- Hulk Hogan
- John Cena
- Dwayne Johnson
- Andre the Giant
- Rose Namajunas
- Conor McGregor
- Holly Holm
- Gina Carano
- Anthony Joshua
- Deontay Wilder
- Tyson Fury
They could be boxers, wrestlers, martial artists, or something else entirely!
Tough Female Dog Names
And as we’ve seen, tough names aren’t just for the boys. There are plenty of tough female dog names to choose from.
They could make your pup sound both ladylike and tough too. Here are a few ideas:
Hop ever here for even more names for female dogs.
Tough Dog Names For Male Dogs
Some tough dog names are clearly unisex, but there are a few that lean towards the masculine. Here are some ideas that would sound great on any rough, tough boy pup.
None of those quite work for your dog? Check out even more awesome male dog names here.
Tough Dog Names That Rock
There are plenty of bands and singers who like to create a tough image or outlaw vibe. Some of their names are great for tough dogs too!
Using the name of someone with a tough image can really give your pup’s name meaning.
Tough Dog Names With Meanings
Some names that are traditionally given to people are also suitable as tough dog names. Because of their original meanings. Here’s a selection that might appeal to you:
- Amir – from the Hebrew, meaning “powerful”
- Brendan – from the Gaelic, meaning “brave”
- Garvan – from Celtic, meaning “rough”
- Gunner – from the Swedish for “strong in battle”
- Lex – abbreviated form of Alexander, meaning “defender of men” in Greek
- Ozzie – from the Hebrew, meaning “strong”
- Stalin – from the Hindu, meaning “man of steel”
- Nina – Native American origins, meaning “strong”
- Trudy – From Germany, meaning “universal strength”
- Elda – Italian origin, meaning “warrior”
- Isa – From Germany, meaning “strong willed”
- Gesa – Dutch name, meaning “strength of a spear”
- Lenna – German name, meaning “lion’s strength”
- Mildred – English origins, meaning “gentle strength”
- Amell – From Germany, meaning “power of an eagle”
- Kawan – From Korea, meaning “strong”
- Denzell – Cornish origins, meaning “powerful”
- Barrett – From Germany, meaning “bear strength”
- Oz – From the Hebrew, meaning “power and strength”
- Takio – From Japan, meaning “strong as bamboo”
- Ajej – means “sandstorm” in Moroccan Arabic
Or how about getting inspired by something a bit out of this world.
Tough Dog Names From Mythology
Ancient history has produced some great names for heroes and tough guys that make perfect tough dog names too.
These can by found in myths and stories of ancient Gods. Here are some figures to inspire you:
- Atlas – from Greek mythology who carried the world on his back
- Ajax – mythical Greek hero who held the entire Trojan army at bay during the Trojan war
- Hades – Greek god of the underworld
- Hera – Greek goddess known for her vengeful character traits
- Eris – the Greek goddess of discord and chaos
- Loki – the shapeshifting Norse god of troublemaking and mischief
- Samson – biblical character said to have superhuman strength
- Shaitan – Arabic name for the devil
- Thor – Norse god of thunder
- Titan – Greek giants of incredible strength
- Ares – Greek god of war
- Artemis – Greek goddess of the hunt
- Athena – Greek goddess of wisdom, intelligence, warfare, and battle strategy
- Achlys – Greek goddess of poisons
- Erebus – Greek god of darkness and shadows
- Nyx – Greek goddess of night
- Cacus – fire-breathing Latin giant slain by Heracles
- Orion – Greek giant huntsman 18
- Talos – Giant forged from bronze by Hephaestus in Greek myth
- Ceto – Greek goddess of ocean dangers and sea monsters
Getting there, but slightly too spiritual or mystical? Then why not look at proven history for something that really has tough written all over it.
Tough Dog Names from History
We don’t just have to look into myths and really ancient history to find some great tough names. Take a look at some of these. Perhaps their stories will inspire you! We will include their full name, but you can always just choose your favorite part!
- Nelson Mandela – South African anti-Apartheid leader
- Winston Churchill – British Prime Minister during WW2
- Alexander the Great – King of Macedonia
- Napoleon Bonaparte – Emperor of France
- Robert Falcon Scott – Royal Navy officer who reached South Pole!
- Neil Armstrong – First man to walk on the moon
- Marco Polo – Venetian traveller and explorer
- Edmund Hillary – First man to climb Everest
- Jesse Owens – Gold medalist at 1936 Berlin Olympics
- Hugh Glass – Inspired the film ‘The Revenant’!
- Khutu (after Khutulun) – Mongol noblewoman and wrestler
- Boudicca – Leader of Britons against Roman occupation
- Margaret Fuller – American women’s rights advocate
- Marie Curie – First woman to receive Nobel Prize
- Rosa Parks – American civil rights activist
- Maya Angelous – American author and poet
- Harriet Tubman – Escaped slave who campaigned for abolition
- Amelia Earhart – Aviation pioneer
- Mary Seacole – British Jamaican nurse in Crimean War
- Melita Norwood – Inspired the film “Red Joan”!
Scary Dog Names
If you want to give your pooch a really tough dog name, you might want to consider something really scary.
You can even get inspiration from famous villains. We think these fierce dog names are enough to make you quake in your boots!
When you start to look for scary names, it’s hard not to vere off a little into the ridiculous.
Funny Yet Tough Dog Names
Tough dog names can be amusing at the same time! If you’ve got a sense of humor, and want to show this through your pup’s tough name, we’ve got some great choices for you here. Check out some of our favorite tough yet punny names – can you recognise who they’re inspired by?
- The Notorious D.O.G.
- Sherlock Bones
- Dogtor Watson
- Jabba the Mutt
- Muttley Crew
- Luke Skywoofer
- JK Growling
- Pup Norris
- Bark Vader
- Tony Bark
- Uma Furman
- Ned Bark
- Hairy Potter
- Kahl Dogo
- Bark Ruffalo
- Clint Eastwoof
- Barky Rogers
- Dogtor Strange
If you’ve got a favorite character, see if you can make their name more amusing in a canine way! This is a great way of finding a jokey tough name, without risking going a little too far!
The Best Tough Dog Names
Even the toughest-looking dogs can be loving and gentle. But that doesn’t mean their name has to be cute and soft. The best tough dog names give across an impression of strength, that can reflect your dog as much, or as little, as you like.
Still not sure?
If you do choose one of our suggestions, please tell us in the comments section below. However, if you are struggling to settle on just one we do have plenty more ideas for you. Why not check out the lists below!
- Male Dog Names
- Female Dog Names
- Cool Dog Names
- Big Dog Names
- Strong Dog Names
- Unique Dog Names
- Wolf Names
- Star Wars Dog Names
- Cartoon Dog Names