People spend months, even years, considering just the right name for a baby, so why not put that same energy into choosing Akita names for a new puppy?
We have some great lists of names below and you might also find our collection of Big Dog Names helpful .
Names are more than just a label. A name can be a superpower you give your new puppy, one that will last a lifetime.
It’s an important choice because the name will mean something to the dog, too.
This is a word your new puppy will respond to millions of times throughout life.
You’ll use it every time you call your dog to go for a walk, make an introduction to a new friend, human or canine, or just cuddle on the couch.
You don’t yell, “Come here new puppy” when you want to play, or “Hey, dog, it’s time to go outside”.
No, you call, “Come Marley” or “Sit Leo.”
Naming gives your pet an identity to grow into and learn to love.
So, what are you going to name your new Akita puppy?
Maybe we can make a few suggestions to get you started on your path towards the best name for your new best friend.
Some Basic Rules for Naming Your New Puppy
Let’s start with some basic rules for naming all dogs whether it’s an Akita puppy or not.
The first rule is there are no rules, not real ones, at least.
We prefer to call them guidelines because there are so many variables involved.
Ultimately, choosing a name for a pet boils down to personal preference and whatever inspires you.
Most of the dog naming guidelines are common sense, too, like:
- Don’t name your new Akita puppy after a living family member or close friend, For example, if your dad’s name is Fred and dad lives with you or is visiting, calling “Fred, come here” is going to be confusing for everyone in the room. Pick something more distinctive, so it stands out.
- Follow the KISS strategy for Akita names – Keep it simple stupid. Avoid complicated names with multiple syllables, because you want something the dog will remember and that rolls off your tongue. Long names mean lots of possible nicknames, too and that’s also confusing for everyone.
- Avoid words that you will use as training cues, because, yeah, that’s confusing, too.
- Stay away from names that are possibly offensive because nobody needs that problem. If you wouldn’t say the word to your mother, it’s not a good choice for your dog.
It is important to pick your puppy’s name within the first two weeks, too, so your pet can have some time to adjust to it.
Japanese Akita Names
The Akita is a robust and proud breed of dog with an impressive heritage, one that dates back to early 17th century Japan.
It might make sense that you might want to celebrate that heritage with one of many proper Akita names.
The fun thing about picking a Japanese name is basing your choice on the word’s meaning such as:
- Hiro – Which means generous
- Kin – Which means gold
- Michi – Which means the pathway
- Nori – Which means law
- Sora – Which means sky
- Yori – Which means the public servant
- Yuki – Which means snow
- Yoshi – Which means nice
There are also some cool Akita names that kind of sound Japanese but have no real meaning in the language like:
You can factor gender into the name choice, as well.
Best Female Akita Names
Maybe gender is just as important to you as heritage.
There are lovely female puppy names with a Japanese flair like:
- Amaterasu – Which means shining heaven
- Chouko – Which means butterfly child
- Haruka – Which means spring flower
- Kimi – Which means noble
- Megumi – Which means blessing
- Misaki – Which means beautiful blossom
- Natsumi – Which means beautiful summer
- Rina – Which means jasmine
- Shinju – Which means pearl
- Yuzuki – Which means gentle moon
Of course, you can go with a standard girl dog name, too.
Here are some of the most popular female dog names for 2018:
Try a few of those out to see which of these female Akita names your new puppy seems to like best.
Male Akita Dog Names
What’s good for the girls is good for the boys, too. Consider gender specific Akita Japanese names with beautiful meanings like:
- Daiki – Which means great glory
- Jun – Which means obedient
- Kaito – Which means ocean flying
- Kazuki – Which means harmony hop
- Masayoshi – Which means honorable
- Ryuu – Which means imperial
- Shinobu – Which means endurance
- Takao – Which means nobleman
- Tatsuya – Which means dragon
- Yuudai – Which means great hero
- Akio – Which means bright man
- Yuju – Which means brave son
- Riko – Which means clever
- Kuma – Which means bear
- Taro – Which means the oldest son
There are some strong male dog names to throw into the mix of names, too, like:
Maybe strong male Akita names don’t really fit your puppy’s personality, so how about something cute but still gender-friendly, such as:
Cool Akita Dog Names
Maybe you want Akita names that don’t have anything to do with either heritage or gender.
These are just too cool to pass up:
Cute Akita Dog Names
Sometimes the way your Akita puppy looks can point you in the right direction for a name.
After all, you wouldn’t call a black and white dog called ‘Pumpkin’ – that’s crazy.
Consider some cuter names that have to do with the dog’s appearance like:
Cute can be about personality, too.
Play with your Akita for a while and see what personality traits stick in your head. Maybe:
Unique Akita Dog Names
Different is better, right?
No rule says you can’t assign your new puppy a unique dog name that has more impact.
Some unique Akita girl dog names might include:
There are plenty of different male dog names out there, too, like:
Celebrity Akita Dog Names
Still too ordinary?
How about naming your Akita puppy after one of your favorite TV or movie characters:
- Saul – Homeland
- Barry – Flash
- Neville – Harry Potter
- Mr. Darcy – Pride and Prejudice
- Olivia – Scandal
- Pope – Scandal
- Buffy – Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Dowager – Downton Abbey
- Hank – Breaking Bad
- Avon – The Wire
- Ripley – Aliens
- Cooper – Twin Peaks
- Lando – The Empire Strikes Back
- Gollum – The Lord of the Rings
- Antonius – The Seventh Seal
- Fredo – The Godfather
- Wanda – A Fish Called, you guessed it, Wanda
- Jabba – Return of the Jedi
- Jessica – Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Freddy – A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Khan – Star Trek
- Doyle – The French Connection
- Holly – Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Golightly – Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Miyagi – The Karate Kid
- Kooku – Star Wars Attack of the Clones
Best Names for Akitas
This list could go on forever, but you get the idea.
Think about what movie you love or TV show you can’t do without and pick a name from it.
It’s up to you to choose the perfect name for your new Akita puppy.
There are really no wrong choices as long as both you and the dog love it.
Your goal is to pick a name that inspires you whether it comes from a favorite TV, a pet you loved once upon a time or just something that feels right.
Play around with different name and see what works and what doesn’t for your dog, too.
After all, it is as much the dog’s decision as it is yours, right?
Run by them one by one and see which name gets your Akita’s attention, especially if you are stuck on a few and can’t make a final choice.
Personality, appearance and a little bit of creativity can guide you as you give your new Akita puppy a forever name.