Cartoon dog names go way beyond the Scoobys, Snoopys, Pongos and Perditas of the world. Cartoon dog characters have been launched at our screens and into our homes from animated movies to breakfast tv, as brand mascots, and in comic strips and books for more than a hundred years. Today we share dozens of nostalgic and modern cartoon dog names. Meaningful memories from trending pop culture to back in time as ancient celebrity dog history. They work great on dogs of any breed or mix, from tiny Chihuahua to large Labradoodles. And they tend to make good pet names that work well for recall commands too, as they are usually short, catchy and easy to understand. Like Bolt!
- Best cartoon dog names
- Girl cartoon dog names
- Boy cartoon dog names
- Coolest cartoon dog names
- Cute names from dog cartoon characters
- Funny cartoon dog names
Cartoon dog names can make awesome inspiration for naming your puppy. The world is full of great cartoon characters right now. Today we are going to share some fun and unique lists of names. So whether it’s Disney dogs, Cartoon Network puppies, dogs from movies, or just famous cartoon dogs that you are looking for, we’ve got the perfect cartoon puppy names for you. And if that doesn’t work out, then it’s time to Netflix and chill with cartoons while you get inspired!
If you are on the hunt for the best cartoon dog names for your new puppy or rescue dog, you’re in the right spot! As it turns out, we love dogs just as much in our cartoons as we do in real life!
Cartoon dogs, like real-life dogs, come in all breeds, colors, shapes and sizes, so you are sure to find a fit with one of these cartoon dog names!
Choosing Cartoon Dog Names
Depending on how you define “cartoon,” the first cartoon was either invented in 1906, 1908, much later or much earlier. The good news is, dog cartoons are here to stay!
If you are seeking a breed-specific cartoon dog name, we have added breed references wherever available (if there is no reference, the breed is either disputed, unknown or mixed). Before you jump in, these naming tips might come in handy:
- Pick a name you won’t be shy to yell out at the dog park.
- Choose a name your puppy can grow into comfortably.
- If you are having trouble deciding, try making a shortlist of possible names and try each with your dog.
Best Cartoon Dog Names
Whether it’s Disney dog names or puppy names from Netflix, the world is full of wonderful canine cartoons. The best cartoon dog names will always come from your own favorite cartoon dogs, such as these 10 absolute classics!
- Lady (Lady and the Tramp); Cocker Spaniel
- Tramp (Lady and the Tramp”)
- Perdita (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Pongo (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Nana (Peter Pan); St. Bernard
- Pluto (Mickey Mouse); Bloodhound
- Goofy (Mickey Mouse); Black and Tan Coonhound
- Scooby Doo (Scooby Doo); Great Dane
- Odie (Garfield); Beagle/Dachshund
- Marmaduke (Marmaduke); Great Dane
Female Cartoon Dog Names
There are some wonderful, powerful and strong female cartoon dogs. Any of which would be an awesome choice to name your pup. These fun female cartoon dog names span the gamut from classic to current! And let’s face it, if you’re looking for Dalmatian cartoon dog names you’ve got a lot to choose from!
- Penny (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Dot (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Stella (The Princess and the Frog); Bloodhound
- Annette (Lady and the Tramp); Cocker Spaniel
- Collette (Lady and the Tramp); Cocker Spaniel
- Danielle (Lady and the Tramp); Cocker Spaniel
- Angel (Lady and the Tramp 2)
- Peg (Lady and the Tramp); Pekingese
- Georgette (Oliver and Company); Poodle
- Rita (Oliver and Company); Saluki
- Gidget (The Secret Life of Pets); Pomeranian
- Roxanne (A Goofy Movie)
- Fifi (Open Season 3); Poodle
- Belle (Belle and Sebastian); Great White Pyrenees
- Doxie Dachshund (Oswald the Lucky Rabbit); Dachshund
- Daisy (Blondie)
- Colleen (Road Rovers); Rough Collie
- Dixie (The Fox and the Hound); Saluki
- Annabelle (All Dogs Go to Heaven); Whippet
- Brandy (Brandy and Mr. Whiskers)
- Dinah the Dachshund (Pluto: The Sleepwalkers); Dachshund
- Ellie (Family Guy); Saluki
- Princess Penelope (The Adventures of Blinky Bill); French Poodle
- Jenna (Balto); Siberian Husky
- Winona (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic); Shepherd
Male Cartoon Dog Names
You can find such a great range of male cartoon dog characters. These are some of our favorites, and they include cartoon dogs with a variety of great attributes. As well as some that are just plain entertaining. These male cartoon dog names highlight awesome canines from major and minor cartoon characters.
- Jasper (Family Guy); Labrador Retriever
- Sam Sheepdog (Don’t Give Up the Sheep); Briard Sheepdog
- Barney (Barney); Old English Sheepdog
- Jock (Lady and the Tramp); Scottish Terrier
- Trusty (Lady and the Tramp); Bloodhound
- Boris (Lady and the Tramp); Borzoi
- Francis (Oliver and Company); Bulldog
- Roscoe (Oliver and Company); Doberman
- DeSoto (Oliver and Company); Doberman
- Mel (The Secret Life of Pets); Pug
- Buddy (The Secret Life of Pets); Dachshund
- Leonard (The Secret Life of Pets); Poodle
- Duke (The Secret Life of Pets)
- Jake (Adventure Time); English Bulldog
- Ren (Ren and Stimpy); Chihuahua
- Clifford (Clifford); Vizsla
- Laddie (The Simpsons); Border Collie
- Bongo / Hendrix (The Simpsons)
- Dino (The Flinstones)
- Hector (Looney Tunes); Bulldog
- Kyle (Despicable Me)
- Dukey (Johnny Test)
- Goliath (Davey and Goliath)
- Pedro (Lady and the Tramp); Chihuahua
- Luiz (Rio); Bulldog
Cool Cartoon Dog Names
What makes a really great cartoon character? For many of us, it’s the cool factor. Whether its a swish attitude or an awesome pair of shades, cartoon dogs have just as much chill as we can handle. Cartoon canines can be pretty cool characters, as these cool cartoon dog names clearly show!
- Mr. Tadakichi (Azumanga Daioh); Great Pyrenees
- Ladybird (King of the Hill); Bloodhound
- Zoe Trent (Littlest Pet Shop); Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Kipper (Kipper the Dog); Beagle/Terrier
- Dodger (Oliver and Company)
- Tito (Oliver and Company); Chihuahua
- Einstein (Oliver and Company); Great Dane
- Cash (The Fox and the Hound)
- Copper (The Fox and the Hound); Bloodhound
- Disco (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Corky (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Augie Doggie (The Quick Draw McGraw Show); Dachshund
- Doggie Daddy (The Quick Draw McGraw Show); Dachshund
- Bolt (Bolt); White Shepherd
- Bruno (Cinderella); Bloodhound
- Charlie (All Dogs Go to Heaven); German Shepherd
- Chase (PAW Patrol); German Shepherd
- Dougal (The Magic Roundabout); Skye Terrier
- Underdog (Underdog); Beagle
- Rubble (PAW Patrol); Bulldog
- Ruffy (Timmy Time)
- Wordsworth (Jamie and the Magic Torch); Old English Sheepdog
- Wowser (Towser); Terrier
- Pinkie (Pinkie Cooper); Cocker Spaniel
- Buttons (Animaniacs); Rough Collie
Cute Cartoon Dog Names
Cartoon characters are almost always adorable. Even the ones that are meant to be a bit scary or cheeky! One of these cute cartoon dog names may be perfect to describe your own precious pup!
- Skye (PAW Patrol); Cockapoo
- Slinky Dog (Toy Story series); Dachshund
- Snowy (Tintin); Wire Fox Terrier
- Peridot (Jewelpet); Papillon
- Lucky (Pound Puppies); Golden Retriever/German Shepherd
- Boot (The Perishers); Old English Sheepdog
- Pops (The Secret Life of Pets); Basset Hound
- Roly Poly (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Patch (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Freckles (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Pepper (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Rolly (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Wags (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Blue (Blue’s Clues)
- Sprinkles (Blue’s Clues)
- Rags McMutt (Little Orphan Airedale)
- Doki (Doki)
- Dug (Up); Golden Retriever
- Goopy Geer (Merrie Melodies)
- Rump (Dino Squad); Bull Terrier
- Sleepy (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Snuffles Snowball (Rick and Morty)
- Hong Kong Phooey (Hong Kong Phooey)
- Roobarb (Roobarb and Custard)
- Poochie (The Itchy & Scratchy Show)
Funny Cartoon Dog Names
Cartoons are a great way of kicking back and relaxing, with a smile on your face. Even as a fully fledged adult! Is your new pooch a funny pup? Perhaps one of these funny cartoon dog names will be a match!
- Porkchop (Doug); Bull Terrier
- Santa’s Little Helper / Suds McDuff (The Simpsons); Greyhound
- Dogbert (Dilbert); Beagle
- The Dog (Family Dog); Bull Terrier
- Itchy (All Dogs Go to Heaven); Dachshund
- Muttley (Wacky Races)
- Huckleberry Hound (Huckleberry Hound); Hound dog
- Mr. Peanut Butter (BoJack Horseman); Labrador Retriever
- Iggy (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure); Boston Terrier
- Droopy (Droopy); Basset Hound
- Doggie (King of the Hill); West Highland Terrier
- Brain (Inspector Gadget); Beagle
- Boot (The Perishers); Old English Sheepdog
- Old Reliable (Lady and the Tramp); Bloodhound
- Scamp (Lady and the Tramp)
- Fluffy (Lady and the Tramp)
- Scooter (Lady and the Tramp)
- Ham (I Haven’t Got a Hat); St. Bernard
- Ex (I Haven’t Got a Hat); St. Bernard
- Gromit (Wallace and Gromit); Beagle
- Hungry (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Puddles (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Yoyo (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Scooter (101 Dalmatians); Dalmatian
- Ruff Ruffman / Master Ruffalicious Ruffykins (Fetch!)
Unique Cartoon Dog Names
From the familiar to the far-out, these unique cartoon dog names showcase some of the most unique pups in animation!
- Brian (Family Guy); Labrador Retriever
- Corneil (Watch My Chops)
- Bizer (Shaun the Sheep); Sheepdog
- Goddard (Jimmy Neutron)
- Balto (Balto); Siberian Husky
- Beta (Dream Hunter Rem)
- Bolivar (Mickey Mouse); St. Bernard
- Buford (Buford and the Galloping Ghost); Bloodhound
- Fu Dog (American Dragon: Jake Long)
- Ein (Cowboy Bebop); Welsh Corgi
- Junkers (Junkers Come Here); Schnauzer
- Mr. Peabody (The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show); Beagle
- Cecil (Hickory, Dickory and Doc)
- Dollar (Richie Rich)
- Sprocket (Fraggle Rock)
- Doger (Oliver and Company)
- Frisket (Reboot)
- Penrod Pooch (Hong Kong Phooey)
- Dynomutt, Dog Wonder (Dynomutt)
- Sasha (All Dogs Go to Heaven); Irish Setter
- Belladonna (All Dogs Go to Heaven)
- Burt R. Barkin (All Dogs Go to Heaven)
- Loni A. Bowzer (All Dogs Go to Heaven)
- Catdog (Catdog)
- Big Dog (Two Stupid Dogs)
Tough Cartoon Dog Names
Every pet dog has just a splash of a wild wolf somewhere inside….these tough cartoon dog names give a nod to the K-9 inside your sweet pooch!
- K-9 (Looney Tunes: Haredevile Hare)
- Marc Antony (Feed the Kitty); Bulldog
- Max (The Secret Life of Pets); Jack Russell Terrier
- Marshall (PAW Patrol); Dalmatian
- Krypto (Krypto the Superdog); Labrador Retriever
- Ms. Lion (Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends); Lhasa Apso
- Hector (Sylvester & Tweety: Peck Up Your Troubles); Bulldog
- Hunter (Road Rovers); Golden Retriever
- Scud (Toy Story); Bull Terrier
- Spike (Tom and Jerry); Bulldog
- Tracker (PAW Patrol); Chihuahua
- Zuma (PAW Patrol); Labrador Retriever
- Everest (PAW Patrol); Husky
- Zwei (RWBY); Cardigan Welsh Corgi
- Spunky (Rocko’s Modern Life): Bull Terrier
- Sharky the Sharkdog (Eek! The Cat)
- Fu Dog (American Dragon: Jake Long); Shar-pei
- Deputy Dawg (Deputy Dawg)
- Courage (Courage the Cowardly Dog”); Beagle
- Buster (Toy Story series); Dachshund
- Blitz (Road Rovers); Doberman
- Astro (The Jetsons); Great Dane
- Bandit (Jonny Quest); Bulldog
- Bull (Lady and the Tramp); Bulldog
- Toughy (Lady and the Tramp)
Fun Facts About Cartoon Dog Names
The truth is, we never really outgrow our love for dog cartoons. They make us laugh. Even more importantly, they make us think.
Perhaps the most famous (certainly the most reproduced) dog cartoon, a single-frame of two dogs using a computer, helped people make sense of the internet – back in 1993!
The planet Pluto inspired the name of one of the world’s most beloved cartoon dogs, Walt Disney’s Pluto. When opinions differ on Pluto’s planetary status, international love for Pluto the dog galvanized school children around the world to form protests.
Sentiments ran so hotly that after the planet’s 2006 demotion, a new word, ‘plutoed’ (meaning to demote), was named ‘word of the year.’
But the best part of cartoon dogs is that they make us laugh more and cherish the gift of our own canine company!
Do you have a favorite cartoon dog name from the lists here? When you choose your puppy or rescue dog’s new name, please drop by and share it with us!
- You can find plenty more fabulous female dog names here.
- Get more name inspiration with our other great guides too, like the Husky name guide!
- Check out even more creative male dog names here.
- Browse through even more cool dog names here.
- Find even more cute cartoon dog names in this article.
- For even more tough cartoon dog names, we hope you enjoy this article.
- Find even more unique cartoon dog names in this article.
- Natasi, A., “Watch the World’s First Animated Cartoon,” Flavorwire, 2011.
- Nusair, D., “Timeline of Animation,” ThoughtCo., 2018.
- Cavna, M., “Nobody Knows You’re a Dog,” Washington Post, 2013.
- Chevlen, D., “On the birthday of Pluto’s discovery, Science takes a look back,” Science, 2017.
- Metcalf, A., “Plutoed Voted 2006 Word of the Year,” American Dialect Society, 2006.