Plenty of manufacturers are vying to produce the best dog food for Pitbulls. So, we’ve examined the top selling options and identified our five favorites:
- Taste of the Wild high prairie recipe – find out why
- Canidae all life stages dry food – find out why
- Rachel Ray Nutrish PEAK Recipe wet food – find out why
- Eukanuba large breed puppy dry food – find out why
- Purina sentive stomach wet food with salmon and rice – find out why
Each of these diets is high in quality proteins and low in unnecessary extra ingredients which can upset Pitbulls’ delicate stomachs.
But they’re not the only meals that might hit the mark for your Pitbull pup.
So lets take a closer look at all the options for your hungry Pitbull.
Let’s have a look at some of the best food options for Pitbulls and figure out which one suits your dog.
Best Dry Dog Food for Pitbulls – Adult
Dry dog food is convenient, easy to store, and easy to measure into portions.
The moisture content of dry dog food ranges from only 6-10%. So you’ll want to keep an eye on your Pitbull’s water intake if you’re feeding them a dry diet.
Dry foods can be used in feeding toys which are great sources of stimulation for intelligent dogs like Pitbulls.
Here are some highly rated dry dog food options that might suit your Pitbull.
1. Rachel Ray Nutrish PEAK Recipe with bison
These Rachel Ray Nutrish biscuits provide 30% crude protein for energy and muscle maintenance.
So they’re a great option for athletic breeds like the Pitbull.
Nutrish meals contain added vitamins and minerals. But no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
2. Natural Ultramix Salmon Recipe Dry Food
If your Pitbull prefers fishy flavors to red meat, these Natural Ultramix Bites are sure to fit the bill.
It’s great for a Pitbulls allergic to grain or poultry, as it contains neither. But it’s delicious for all other Pitbulls too!
Multiple reviews also state that this is a successful diet for fussy eaters.
3. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe
These Blue Buffalo Wilderness biscuits are rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
They contain glucosamine to support healthy joints and mobility.
4. Canidae All Life Stages Dry Food
This multi-protein kibble from Canidae is a high quality practical option for people who own more than one dog.
The nutritional profile has been balanced to suit growing younger Pitbulls as well as adults.
5. Taste of the Wild Grain Free Dry Dog Food – High Prairie Flavor
Finally, this cult kibble from Taste of the Wild combines buffalo, chicken, lamb, bison, venison and beef with added probiotics, vitamins and minerals for a supremely meaty hit!
Best Wet Dog Food for Pitbulls
Wet dog food for Pitbulls is much higher in water content. Which is great for dogs who don’t tend to drink enough.
They are also worth considering if you have a gluttonous dog. As the volume of water means your Pitbull can tuck into a bigger portion but still receive the same number of calories as a smaller kibble portion.
However, wet diets aren’t as good as kibble diets for cleaning dogs’ teeth. So you’ll need to be diligent about brushing.
1. Rachel Ray Nutrish PEAK Natural Wet Dog Food
This Rachel Ray Nutrish wet food variety pack is full of protein and natural ingredients to support active breeds like the Pitbull.
They are so popular that they are the #3 best-selling canned dog food product on Amazon!
2. Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Adult Canned Wet Dog Food
This Purina canned food is 78% moisture which will keep your Pitbull hydrated and replenished.
Nutro Grain Free Adult Wet Dog Food Cuts in Gravy
Nutro’s wet food variety pack comes in easy-to-serve trays to make meal times with your Pitbull quick and convenient.
Best Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies
We have looked at some of the best choices for adult Pitbulls. But what about puppies?
Pitbulls are medium to large dogs. So, as puppies they need a suitable diet to support rapid growth and development.
That means plenty of protein to support growing bones and muscles.
But it’s just as important to avoid an excess of calories or ingredients like calcium. As either of these is linked to faulty skeletal development.
Compared to adult Pitbull diets, puppy food also usually contain smaller pieces which are easier to digest.
1. Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Dry Food
Eukanuba have designed this dry dog food specially to meet the needs of large breed puppies like your Pitbull.
It provides a blend of vitamins and minerals to boost your puppy’s immune system during this critical stage of its life.
2. Fromm Heartland Gold Grain Free Puppy
The primary ingredients of this dry food by Fromm include beef, pork and pulses. So, it is full of high-quality protein sources.
It also contains probiotics to aid your Pitbull puppy’s digestion and reduce the risk of an upset tummy.
The especially small size of these biscuits means they’re ideal training treats too.
2. Victor Class Hi-Pro Plus Dry Dog Food For Active Dogs & Puppies
These biscuits by Victor Class have a great calcium to phosphorus ratio, which are two essential minerals for bone growth.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls with Sensitive Stomachs
Just like humans, dogs can suffer from sensitive stomachs that can affect their feeding habits. It can even stop them from eating!
This can be a cause of frustration in owners who don’t know what to feed their Pitbulls to avoid upsetting their stomachs.
Luckily, there are some dog foods on the market designed to meet the needs of dogs who have sensitive stomachs.
1. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Pate Wet Dog Food
Purina’s Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach wet food is formulated to provide your Pitbull with an easy and stress-free digesting experience.
2. Weruva Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food
These grain-free biscuits by Weruva contain only simple ingredients to avoid digestive issues.
3. I and Love and You Naked Essentials Dry Dog Food
The primary ingredients in these biscuits are lamb, chicken meal and turkey meal. So, they are a great source of protein for your Pitbull.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls with Allergies
If your Pitbull suffers from allergies, it can be hard to know what to feed it.
The main symptoms of food allergies in dogs include skin and stomach irritation.
Hypoallergenic diets are designed to reduce the risk of inducing an allergic reaction in your dog.
Let’s take a look at some of the options for the best dog food for Pitbulls with allergies.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Sensitive Stomach & Skin
If your Pitbull is an adult, you may want to consider this dry food by Hill’s.
It contains 26% crude protein. So, it is an excellent choice for muscular breeds like your Pitbull.
2. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food
The first ingredient in these Purina biscuits is salmon which is a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
Omega-6 fatty acids and zinc are included to nourish the skin and coat.
3. PS For Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food
PS For Dogs have formulated this hypoallergenic dried food by eliminating common allergens such as grains and potatoes.
It contains high-quality protein sources like lamb and turkey to support muscle growth in your Pitbull.
The manufacturer offers a satisfaction guarantee. So you can get a refund if your Pitbull is not keen on it.
What is the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
Affectionate and loyal, Pitbulls are well-loved by adoring enthusiasts.
With their active and playful temperaments, they require proper nutrition to support their high energy levels.
It is important to ensure that your Pitbull is getting the protein, fats, vitamins and minerals it needs in order to be a happy and healthy pooch.
As with humans, this will vary with age, health status and activity levels.
As Pitbulls are a muscular breed, you may want to consider a higher protein diet. Good quality protein sources include chicken, lamb and turkey.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls – Tell Us Your Thoughts!
What do you feed your Pitbull?
Please tell us about your hits (and misses) down in the comments box!
This article was reviewed and updated in October 2019.
You’ll Also Like…
- Best Dog Food For Pitbull Puppies
- Best Dog Food For Sensitive Stomach
- Red Nose Pitbull
- Pitbull Ear Cropping
- Feeding a Pitbull Puppy: Schedules, Routines and Quantities
References and Resources
- The Association of American Feed Control Officials.
- National Research Council. “Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats”. The National Academies Press. 2006.
- Rolinec M et al. “The nutritive value of selected commercial dry dog foods”. Scientific Journal for Phytotechnics and Zootechnics. 2016.
- Downing R. “Dry, Canned or Semi-Moist: Food Choices for Dogs”. VCA. 2014.
- Brooks W. “Calcium Phosphorus Balance in Dogs and Cats”. Veterinary Partner. 2007.
- Cortadellas O et al. “Calcium and phosphorus homeostasis in dogs with spontaneous chronic kidney disease at different stages of severity”. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2010.